Sustainability & Compassion
We take pride in being an independent boutique brand. Designed with love in Hawai‘i and made ethically in Bali.
1. We don't like to call ourselves an "eco-friendly" brand because we believe being environmentally and socially responsible should be a core value of all brands. We're far from perfect, but we're constantly striving to improve and do the best we can to reduce our impact on the environment. We use minimal packaging on our orders to reduce unnecessary waste, made up of only recycled and reusable materials; and we've nearly eliminated single-use plastics from our supply chain. To help offset our carbon footprint, we plant one tree for every item purchased, and include carbon-neutral shipping on every order. (Details below.)
2. We believe in slow fashion – thoughtfully designed garments made with high quality materials constructed with expert workmanship to ensure excellent fit, feel, and durability. We do not believe in trend-focused, fast and cheap knockoffs made in China that are copies of what true designers worked so hard to create.
3. We select environmentally responsible production methods to the greatest extent possible, such as low-impact printing and working with materials that are sustainable and locally available. Our eco-friendly range is designed in our premium Italian fabric made from ECONYL® fiber that is 78% verifiably regenerated post-consumer content and less likely to leave microfiber waste in our water systems.
4. We provide, and only partner with organizations that provide, fair wages and healthy working conditions for all levels of workers. We stand for safe working environments for all models and industry workers, and have a zero tolerance policy for racism, discrimination and sexual harassment/abuse. We strictly refuse to work with any photographers on the @shitmodelmgmt blacklist and any models or brands who actively support their work.
5. We absolutely love a good vintage find, especially when it pairs perfectly with a Those Seen Dancing piece. We encourage our customers to never throw away previously-loved garments – we hope that you repair garments if necessary, and donate, give away, or recycle unwanted or no longer used clothing and swimwear.
Mahalo for considering each other and our planet.
Those Seen Dancing x One Tree Planted
With every item purchased, one tree will be planted to help offset the carbon footprint from producing your order. Each month we select a different region of the world to plant your trees. Thank you for helping us take care of our planet!
December - Aotearoa (New Zealand) | November - Planting Trees for Biodiversity | October - Brazil | September - Forest Fire Recovery in the Pacific Northwest | August - India | July - Ethiopia | June - Amazon Rainforest | May - The United States Forest Service | April - Rwanda | March - Guatemala | February - California | January - Australia | December 2019 - Indonesia
Those Seen Dancing x Pachama
Transportation used to ship orders burns fossil fuels and generates carbon emissions. Those emissions trap heat, leading to climate change. As an online store, we proudly invest in sustainability initiatives to counteract the environmental impact of shipping. We're excited to partner with Pachama and contribute to certified projects that comply with the best-in-class carbon offset protocols and standards. Every month, we calculate the total emissions generated by all of our shipped orders, and that number determines our monthly purchase of carbon credits to neutralize shipping emissions through one of Pachama's verified projects.
Those Seen Dancing x Aquafil
Our eco-friendly range is made with premium Italian fabric made from 78% verifiably regenerated post-consumer content that surpasses maximum standards for durability. This fabric has been proven to meet the highest UV resistance standard of UPF+50 and also proven to surpass the highest standards for resistance to chlorine, sunscreen, chemicals and oils. It is also pile-resistant and unlikely to leave microfiber waste.
ECONYL® is 100% regenerated nylon fiber made from fishnets and other nylon waste.
The ECONYL® regeneration system can be endlessly repeated without any loss in material quality. The fabric is not only entirely made of regenerated material, but it is fully and endlessly regenerable. It is a process that forms a closed-loop production cycle in the truest sense.
All phases of our eco-friendly fabric production, from the regeneration process to the dying of the brilliant ECONYL® colors to the final production of the fabric are achieved in accordance with EU environmental standards.
THE 4 ECONYL® PRODUCTION STEPS
Those Seen Dancing x noissue.
We mail our orders out in noissue recycled mailers, made from recycled plastics, giving plastics already in circulation a second life. Each mailer has a second adhesive strip so that the mailer can be reused once more, and once it has served its purpose, you can recycle it wherever soft plastics are accepted.
Our logo tissue paper and packaging stickers are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified, which means that these paper products are sourced from a forest and supply chain that is managed responsibly and sustainably. They are acid-, lignin- and sulfur-free, meaning that the ink won’t transfer and the paper won’t leave behind any of these chemicals when decomposing. They are printed with soy inks, which are made from a renewable resource and have low levels of VOCs, reducing air pollution during the drying process.
noissue also parters with One Tree Planted, so with every mailer, tissue paper or packaging sticker received with your order you are not only planting trees with us, you are also contributing to additional trees being planted in areas of need.
Thank you for helping us support the global reforestation effort. Xx